Young Judges

RNA Young Judges presented by Arrow Energy

RNA Young Judges presented by Arrow Energy

The RNA Young Judges Competition presented by Arrow Energy gives budding judges the opportunity to partake in the judging process and then be judged themselves across a variety of competitions including Photography, Prime Beef, Stud Beef, Dairy Goats, Dairy Cattle, Contemporary Cake Decorating, Horses, Mohair Fleece, Wool, Stud Angoras, Alpacas and Stud Sheep. 

The competition includes a Junior Class for under 16 year olds and a Senior Class for 16 to 25 year olds. Entrants are informed of how to judge and what to look for. They must justify their choices and are then judged on their overall judging ability.

Competition Schedule Download 

Enter Now

Meet some of our Young Judges

Clara Tolman - Judging chickens

Year 9 - Alstonville State School

Probably the most important thing to look at is their breed and if the bird fits the breed profile. Judges will look at the colouring, stature and size of the bird compared to the breed standard. They then look at the eyes and whether the comb, feathers and wattle are intact or not, the chicken weight, the feather type. Lastly they look at the presentation of the bird, including cleanliness of the bird and its legs.

Cyndell White - Judging cattle

Year 12 - Ferny Grove State High School

The first step to judging any animal is to be watching the class before they even enter the ring and especially as soon as they enter the ring. Once they are in the ring we should look at the class as a whole, taking in the steers’ lengths, heights, general structures and any obvious stand outs (whether these be positive qualities or flaws). At this stage we should have a rough idea of our top and bottom placings based off of these general observations. If the class is too similar to gain a rough judgment, then move on to the next step, which also helps placing the middle steers.

Hannah Haupt - Judging Alpacas

Year 11 - Calvary Christian College

The main part of alpaca judging is to compare the animal to the breed standards and make sure they have no faults. In alpacas 60% of judging is made up of fleece and the other 40% of structure. There are two different breeds of alpaca, the huacaya (fleece grows like a sheep) and the suri (fleece grows in locks) which are judged slightly differently.  Across both breeds fleece density, length, fineness, lustre (sheen) and character (crimp/lock structure) are the most important factors. When looking at the alpacas structure, you want an animal which can easily move around a paddock to get food and will be capable of reproducing.

Stefani Jenner - Judging sheep

Year 10 - Christian Calvary College

When judging sheep, you should know what breed they are so you can judge them accordingly. With the meat sheep breeds the main area a judge will look at is the frame of the its body. They will feel the loin, which is in between the last rib and hips, to see how much meat coverage the animal has. You will also see the judges observing from a far to compare height, width and length to judge which is the better animal.

Useful Information
Contact Competition Coordinator
Name: Stephanie Yoon
Email: syoon@royalqueenslandshow,com.au
Phone: 3253 3921
RNA Reception: 3253 3900