The Old Museum Precinct
For the second year, The Old Museum will be buzzing with a hive of activity from creative student gardens to a giant grass throne and a jam packed speaker and dancing schedule on the revived Community Stage.
In 2016, the Old Museum came home to Ekka for the first time in 119 years, becoming the base for the show’s Flower and Garden precinct and Quilts Across Queensland.
Built for the RNA in 1891, The Old Museum was originally called the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall. The Queensland Government took control of the building and grounds in 1897, when the RNA was forced into liquidation by the economic depression. It then became the home of the Queensland Museum in 1899.
Bringing the Ekka and The Old Museum back together again for the second year symbolises the importance of heritage and legacy to the RNA, especially being the show’s 140th!
The Old Museum Precinct houses:
- Community Stage presented by Colorbond Steel
- Ekka Makers Markets
- Grass of Thrones presented by Envy Lawn
- Potted Plants presented by NGIQ
- Verge Garden & Displays presented by Rocky Point Mulching
- Education Queensland Digital Roadshow
- Hay-mazing Maze
- Flower and Garden Platform Stage
- Angi’s Flower Crown Activity
- Bush Poetry Competition
- Quilts Across Queensland
- School Gardening Competition sponsored by Total Building Maintenance
With the success of the EKKA Flower and Garden Community Stage in 2016 the program for 2017 will again include horticultural themed presentations. The Flower & Garden Community Stage in the grounds of the Old Museum at the Royal Queensland Show will be held from August 11th to 20th 2017. Click here to register your Expression of Interest to be a Speaker.